What’s My Accommodation Option?

Accommodation Option Glen Ferrie Station Koskosan

There are several accommodation options available for students studying in Australia. You can arrange your own accommodation by your education provider or you can choose your own before coming to the country.  Most institutions have an accommodation office that can give you information and assist you in finding a living arrangement.

Campus Accommodation

Campus Accommodation is housing arrangement at your educational institution or near it. Mostly, Western Australian universities and many colleges provide on-campus accommodation for their students.

This can be private or shared room in a residence with communal cooking, laundry and recreational facilities; or a self-contained unit with either private or shared cooking and laundry facilities.  The costs for campus accommodation are varied, depend on the type of housing and level of service provided.


Homestay means living with a local family or house parents during your study. If you choose homestay, your school or college will usually arrange this before you arrive in Australia. You can have different homestay arrangement, whether it is a private or shared room. Some of your meals may be included and there could be other international students staying with the family.

Youth and Backpackers’ Hostels

If you would prefer to stay at youth or backpackers’ hostel while you study in Australia, especially Perth, you can explore your options on many websites available, one of them is YMCA. There are pro and cons of renting a backpackers hostel. You can compare the listing with many other accommodation options and choose the best one for you.

Renting or Sharing Accommodation

This is probably the most option students choose for their living arrangement. Renting a flat or a house, or sharing with other students can minimize the cost of studying in the country. You can find this place through the newspaper, on the internet, at suburban real estate agents’ office, or sometimes from   notice boards at your university or college. There are places with and without furniture available to rent. The cost of the rent depends on the area and how close it is to the city centre or the size of the bedrooms and whether it’s furnished.

Make sure you list the pros and cons and list all the necessary needs before you move in. If you need to pay a bond, you have to get an official receipt for making sure your money will be return to you when you move out. Please ensure the detail costs for electricity, water and gas, whether it is already on the bill or you have to pay it separately.

Just be careful and use your judgment or talk to friends or if necessary to your institution’s accommodation adviser before you choose your living arrangement.